-
May 16th, 2001, 01:24 PM
#11
Inactive Member
I bag and box mine, sitting happy, snug, and safe next to Elfquest... but I was wondering if they make short comic boxes? I've only got those huge long ones(which my cardboard-hating cat has clawed and shredded the corners of) I wanted to get short boxes so I could put a single series in one box instead of having them all together(not to mention I am a very small elfin person and my stuffed full comic box is quite heavy)
-
May 16th, 2001, 02:59 PM
#12
Inactive Member
Yep they sure do! Short boxes are half size, (tho not half priced-where I shop long boxes are $6 and short are $4.50.....)
you can fit 1 long box into 2 short boxes.
Any good comic shop should have them...or be able to order them for you.....most shops I know of use the short boxes themselves, so you should be able to find them without much trouble.
Darth
-
May 16th, 2001, 06:32 PM
#13
Inactive Member
I bag them and box them with my other comics in alphebetical order.They come right after SpiderMan(old Spidey when it was good).
Soon I wont have any room left to sit.Ive been collecting comics sinse 1983. 
------------------
Scoribra-The sting of truth weighed on the scales of destiny.
~`~`~`Dragonlady`~`~`~
-
May 17th, 2001, 04:37 AM
#14
Inactive Member
As the EX-wife of an avid comic collecter, anything less then a basic board and bag is simply crimianl. (If a had a dollar for every night I spent boaring, bagging a organizing.....)
Mylar is a MUST if you ever plan to re-sell, but that only applies to the spandex super-heros that the masses find valuable.
Not to sound geeky, but the bagging and boardingthing will REALLY help preserve your collecton, especially as it grows. Plus it can be totally afforable, if you are a regular at one shop, they may throw them in for each new book you buy, and most back issues you buy are already done, SO, it's not that tough to keep up.
Always remember, you should never neglect your comic book collection.
-
May 17th, 2001, 10:50 AM
#15
Inactive Member
I've had to spend alot of money getting comic boards and bags for my comic collection as well. Luckly I just cut ALOT of what I was reading, so I don't have to worry about buying so many.
-
May 17th, 2001, 12:13 PM
#16
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyric054:
Mylar is a MUST if you ever plan to re-sell, but that only applies to the spandex super-heros that the masses find valuable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you seen a price guide lately?
There's plenty of non-spandex that has quite a bit of value. Heck, 1st prints of SiP v1 have plenty of value. My most valuable books are not super heroes.......
I would only recommend mylar if you never plan to sell. You get along just fine changing the bags every couple of years, mylar you don't have to change, so in the long run it's less expensive. If your gonna turn around and sell it, just use the right size bag, and it'll be snug as a bug in a rug. let the next guy worry about mylar or not.....
Darth
-
May 19th, 2001, 10:24 PM
#17
Inactive Member
BAG, BACK, & BOX 'EM, BABY!!!
Protect the ones you love. I started collecting comics in the early eighties and stopped counting them when I hit the 5000 mark in the late eighties.
Being the genius I'm not, I didn't worry about protecting them until a few years ago.
Now, at least 90% of my comics are bent, rolled, creased, torn, and/or mangled. 
(See the kick-me sign on my back? I put it there as a reminder to be more careful with anything of value to me.)
Anyway, learn from the mistakes of others before making your own mistakes. It will make a world of difference to you in the future. Peace.
-
May 20th, 2001, 03:24 PM
#18
KarmaPolice
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
(I don't know what shape your comics are in KP, just sound like some body who isn't big on condition-which is cool; your mileage may vary...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most of mine are actually in good shape despite my habits.. Even though I admittedly don't store them very well, I'm one of those people that reads them very carefully. Not with tweezers and gloves or anything, but I handle them very gently and never eat or drink near them.
I think that's more of a general book thing with me, though. My parents are book-o-philes and made me take very good care of my books. No bent pages in our house, no-siree.
While my brain is on the subject, here's a random comic pet peeve - when the tape on your bag gets stuck to the backing so that it tears off and you can't retape it, so you have to put new tape on. Yes, these things bother me.
-
May 20th, 2001, 06:33 PM
#19
Inactive Member
Better the board than the comic, neh?
Try Scotch Brand Magic Tape.
I have been able to peel it off of comics that stuck without tearing. I like the wide variety best...
Darth
------------------
'Faith. What a dirty monosyllable. Jill, why didn't you mention that one when you were teaching me the short words that musn't be used in polite company?'
-Valentine Michael Smith, aka the Man from Mars- Stranger in a Strange Land
-
May 21st, 2001, 08:16 PM
#20
Inactive Member
Hey GC Ive had the same prob with tape but only when buying back issues.Comic stores seem to use this really hard,shiny ,super sticky tape that twists and tugs at the bag when you try to open it and sometimes attaches to the comic.I usally re-bag them and tape them myself.I use "Scotch" brand tape it doesnt seem to have that problem.Hey maybe I should do a commercial?. 
------------------
Scoribra-The sting of truth weighed on the scales of destiny.
~`~`~`Dragonlady`~`~`~
[This message has been edited by Drags (edited May 21, 2001).]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks